Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 3 State CMOS Buffer and pull-up / pull down resistors

Status
Not open for further replies.

flote21

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I am planning to use two units of this Octal buffer 3-state IC for my next design: 74HC367.

I want to use two 74HC467 in parallel interconnecting their outputs (Because they are 3-state) and making a control of the ouput enable pins throught an FPGA.

My question is if I need to place pull-up/down for every output of the buffer or with the basic wire interconnection is enough?

Thanks in advance.

Pull-up /pull-down resistors are only required if you need the bus to be in a known state when/if all the tri-state drivers are in the high-impedance state at the same time.

Hi,

a common rule says: never leave inputs floating. Therefore I recommend to use pullups. (Or bus keepers, if you have)

Especially when you have a battery powered device and want long battery life.

Essential are the pullups in the OE lines. During power up, when the FPGA outputs are not yet valid, you have to avoid accidental enabling the outputs.
A short on 8 data lines may cause your power supply to fail and/or damage the driver ICs.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.