Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to compute the convolution of following fn

Status
Not open for further replies.

arbabar

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Y[n]=(-1)^n * 2^n u[2n+1]

Please solve it and share it.

http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/8516025300_1456658135.html"

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

If you are posting class assignments and getting it done by others, it is unfair practice. However, if you are unable to understand some concepts, it is fine to ask here.

I am preparing for test so if you know how to solve it...
Do it...
I just tick the option by checking the answer from back of the chapter...

There are two functions * is convolution sign between them look at it again

if we call:
x(n) = (-1)^2
h(n) = 2^n*u[2n+2], then

y(n) = x(n) * h(n)

making a graph, x(n) will be an infinte alternating [... -1 1 -1 1 ...] with 1 for n=0
h(n) will be, instead, zero up to n = -2, then will be [0.5 1 2 4 8 16 32 ....] with 0.5 for n=-1

To perform the convolution we have to flip and shift in time one of the two functions. Here it esasier to flip x(n) because it will remain exactly the same (it's an even function). For n=0 we will have no shift of x(n) the we will obtain the sum:

0.5 - 1 + 2 - 4 ...... --> infinite

shifting by one:

-0.5 + 1 - 2 + 4 ...... --> infinite

then it will diverge. I think there should be a typo in the book. If we substitute 2^n with 2^(-n) the previous sums will converge to:

1/0.5 - 1/1 + 1/2 - 1/4 --> 4/3
-1/0.5 + 1/1 -1/2 +1/4 --> -4/3

in this case the solution is 4/3*(-1)^n
in order to have the factor 8/3 we'll need the step function starting from n=-2 instead of n=-1 that is u[2n+4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back