Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] PIC USART to MAX485 instead of MAX232

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitelsis

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a working assembly code for receiving and transmitting data on PIC16f886 via MAX232. I want to use MAX485 instead. Do I have to change anything in my code?

Thanks for your quick reply. Is it enough just to control enable pin while transmitting and receiving? Is not there another changes in code? I have read somewhere in this forum that we must do some changes when we transfer from 232 to 485 related with start and stop bits.

RS485 and RS232 are electrical specifications not protocols so you can send just about anything you like through both of them. It is quite normal to use exactly the same data format, including start and stop bits for both of them so a UART can be used at both ends.

As FvM points out though, the same pair of wires is used for transmit data and receive data so you need a method of telling the MAX485 which direction it should be working.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.