Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No ground pins FPGA chip -- ICE5LP4K-SG48ITR50? How to connect to GND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsuhh

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Take a look at the picture, No ground pin. How to connect the GND of the board? Is it using the heat sink pin as ground pin?

No_ground_pin_02.png

I guess SG48 package has an enhanced ground pad, as many chips in QFN or TQFP package. Did you aver look at the footprint?

of course, I look at the footprint. It has a thermal pad under the chip. There is no any description about the it. What I can guess is the thermal pad is the GND pin. But it is just my guess.

Apparently Lattice managed to hide the information perfectly in the ICE40 datasheet...

For me it's quite obvious that the exposed pad is acting as ground, same thing with some Altera CPLD and FPGA. But you can ask at Latticesemi where it's written explicitly.

But the worse thing is that Latticesemi do not answer my questions because I am a researcher in the university! They only support company.

The big ground pad must be the ground connection. You don't have to ask Lattice. They forgot to mention it in the documentation, but it is obvious.

This link has some information:

https://blackmesalabs.wordpress.com/2015/07/

"One tricky thing about QFNs ( also known as MLFs ) is the substrate ground slug in the center. For many devices – it is the only ground connection and must be soldered – so I place a 0.125″ hole underneath the slug."

Reactions: zsuhh

zsuhh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The big ground pad must be the ground connection. You don't have to ask Lattice. They forgot to mention it in the documentation, but it is obvious.

This link has some information:

https://blackmesalabs.wordpress.com/2015/07/

"One tricky thing about QFNs ( also known as MLFs ) is the substrate ground slug in the center. For many devices – it is the only ground connection and must be soldered – so I place a 0.125″ hole underneath the slug."

That is a very userful linker. Thank you!

Actually, it is mentioned in the datasheet, but it is very well hidden. Took me quite some time to notice it. In "iCE40UltraFamilyDataSheet.pdf", right under table "Pin Information Summary", there is a note. It reads: "48-pin QFN package (SG48) requires the package paddle to be connected to GND."
It's the only part of the documentation that cleared this up. I think it should be a lot more visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back