Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring energy of incoming pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

sss1983

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
Lets say i have a series of aperiodic pulses of different energy and shapes coming in from the channel. I have used an ADC to digitize the data. I need to measure the energy of the pulses. I can do it say by choosing a window of 50 ns and integrate the pulse for that window. I can then run the window across time and calculate the integration/enery for each 50ns duration across the time scale. However, i was wondering is there a better or easy method to do this?

Please provide a suggestion if you have one. thanks in advance.

measure the energy of the pulses.

This could be voltage, or Amperage, or Watts. It's possible to get data by measuring voltage across a resistor which acts as a load for the incoming pulses. Is there a particular unit which you need for your readings?

Since, the original post created some confusion, i am rephrasing the question to make it understand better.

Lets say I have a series of aperiodic pulses of different energy and shapes coming in from the channel. The pulse widths are 2 ns and pulses are separated by 200 ns. I have used an ADC with enough sampling frequency to digitize the data and they are now in my laptop. I need to measure the energy of the pulses. I can do it say by choosing a window of 200 ns with the pulse at the center, and calculate integration of the samples for that window. I can then move the window 200 ns ahead across time and calculate the integration/energy for the next pulse. However, i was wondering is there a better or easy way to do this?

Pulses are of narrow width and large amplitude. Just a pulse of voltage OR current has zero energy (theoretically speaking). If your pulses have definite width and separation, they become periodic. You can certainly measure integral(Vdt) but that will not give you the energy. But a simpler way (because you know their width) is just to count and note their height. But you cannot get their energy...

Hi,

Energy is the integral of U x I.

If you just know U, without I, then you need to know additional information.
Like the load (impedance). Then you can calculate I.

The same is when you only know I.

Else I see no way to calculate the energy.

Klaus

Energy is the integral of U x I.

I presume we are dealing with constant load impedance, e.g. 50 ohm. So you get E = ∫V²dt. Means the input signal has to be squared before integrating/averaging, either in the digital domain or by analog means.

Status
Not open for further replies.