Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Maximum Frequency supported by a Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyismylimit

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can u calculate the maximum frequency supported by a purticular technology .. both in the case of analog as well as digital design ??

Well, what is fT in a process? It will give you the maximum frequency the process can support. Try and take a standard MOSFET(PMOS/NMOS) and get fT from it. It will give you the max frequency the process can support.

I hope that it helps.

For analog Design, the maximum frequency is a somewhat vague concept since you can increase your frequency of operation using distributed amplifiers. ft is the unity current gain frequency which can be found out using the expression:

ft = gm/(Cgs + Cgd)

but this has little meaning. A more meaningful frequency metric is the unity power gain frequency. It can be calculated for a device through this equation:

wu = 1/2 √[wt/(rg Cgd)]

For digital circuits your maximum frequency depends on your basic gate delay and the number of gates you cascade, until u reach the limit of the clock skew.

Hope this answered your query.

I don't think that you can go as high as ft since at that range, the model will very unaccuracy. Maybe 1/10 of you ft is O.K. I mean for analog circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back