Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Highest possible frequency...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Loh.

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Someone told me of a 70 GHz Oscilloscope... I was really shocked... I never believed that silicon amplifiers could do better and a few MHz...

What is the maximum possible frequency that solid state components can operate ?

If basic TTL gates have propagation delay time of 4 ns then it can operate at maximum of 250 MHz... So how can PCs operate at GHz range ?

Thanks in advance...

TTL gates are from mid 60's. More advanced series, F ror example are from 80's. It is 25 years of steady progres. Today's CPU are manifactured at diferent technology - some kind of BiCMOS proces as far as I know. For 20years transistor dimensions are shrink about a 100 times. This mean dramatic reduce of parasitic capacitance, inductance and propagation times. For hi end application GaAs transistor are used. They have supirior frequency performance .

Hi,
the length of the transistors are being reduced (now it is 90nm standard) and the problems of capacitances are being effectively handles so it is not surprising for high speed processotrs.
br madhukar

I was speaking of the AS / LS series of TTL. (4ns delay)

But The current pentium operates at a few GHz. so the propagation time should be at least .5ns (2 GHz)...So can transistors work that fast ?

and a 70GHz CRO must have an amplifier to meet such high frequency needs.

What are the latest(best) figures in terms of transistor frequency and propagation delay of logic gates ?

**broken link removed**

In fact there is quite fast transistors in labs. On the other hand, there is a way to design amplifier, wich have frequency band higher than transistor's transit frequency.

So 70GHz amplifier is not the limit!

Question can have a sense if we analyse exact type of transistor but in a global technology its in a big progress and every day transistors are smaller and smaller ... One extra things its that many of high freq. devices work with distributed parameters(>300MHz) and its different philosophie of work ... Last thing its only my opininon and I would be like that somebody write some sentenc about that ...

bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.