Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can I use 8Gb with FATFS and SPI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FAT limits you to 500MB. FAT32 limits to 2GB with 512 bytes sector and 16GB with 4K sector size.

A 8GB SD card will work with SPI and FAT16 FAT32 AND exFAT. If you use FAT16 you will have to partition the drive into four 2GB partitions.

bianchi77, in 8GB SDHC card and SPI FAT32 addresses are the sectors and not the bytes, so you can address all the 8GB (max 2GB x 512). With FAT16 you address the byte on the card so you are limited to 2GB. SDHC card of 8GB wont format to FAT16.

If you mean Chan's FatFs yes, it works even with 32Gb by SPI and SDIO perfect, but by SPI much slower.

Hello!

If you mean Chan's FatFs yes, it works even with 32Gb by SPI and SDIO perfect, but by SPI much slower.

SPI is indeed slower. As for "much" slower, it depends on what you mean by "much" and with what kind of hardware.
Physically, SDIO has 4 bits, so there is no magic, "much" is at most 4 times.

BUT: SDIO sends data 4bits by 4 bits which is somewhat inconvenient unless you have a hardware way to
do it. If you do everything in software, then you have to split every byte before feeding it into your
SD card. I agree that a simple shift can be fast, but if you do this: (in pseudo-code)

while(count < buf_size) {
SetSDIO((data[count]>>4) & 0x0F);
SetSDOP(data[count] & 0x0F);
count++;
}

Then the while loop will eat a few cycles, the count++ maybe 1 or 2 cycles, the shift action maybe 1 or 2
cycles as well. That may indeed be faster than waiting for each byte to be sent by SPI, but definitely not
as fast as you coulde expect. Of course, if your µC processes SDIO in hardware (i.e. takes care of data shifting
and feeds the 4 bits properly), then yes, it may be faster. I say may because there is another aspect:
All the processors I know allow to feed SPI with DMA, which means that while you are transferring data to the
SD card, the processor can do something else, therefore the whole action of sending a buffer will consist in just
setting the DMA start point and length. So in order to decide whether you implement SDIO or SPI, you have
to know:

- If your processor handles SDIO by hardware;
- If you can DMA to the SDIO engine.

If any of these conditions is missing, then you should use SPI.

As for the original question, yes, you can use FATFS and SPI. The initialization of SD cards above 2 GB is slightly
different, so in case you want to be compatible with both, then you have to read the SD card characteristics first
and initialize accordingly.

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.