Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'retrieve remove image' does not work for me, what do I do wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

russian2

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I completely understand how it's best to have both text and images hosted on this same forum, but the 'retrieve remove file' checkbox just does not work for me with a pretty unhelpful 'Invalid URL' message

(sorry for using imgur to show it, but well, it's because I cannot upload it :) )

HAgTm5w.png

I have this issue with both Chrome and Mozilla browsers, I have this issue both with imgur and my own website. Please advise.

Unfortunately the "retrieve remote file" feature does not work, you can only upload files to the forum from your computer.

Gotcha.

Since file retrieval does not work would it be possible to clarify the forum rules
Don’t upload your files to external servers and post the links, these files will be deleted after a while and the thread will become useless, attach your files in the post. Moderators will delete any posts that includes files uploaded to file sharing servers like Rapidshare, 4shared etc.

Does it mean ANY external server or just file sharing external services? If external images are completely prohibited and file retrieval does not work, maybe the 'insert image by URL' should be disabled altogether?

Yes, I understand how to upload a file to the forum, it is not what I am trying to clarify.

The thread you've pointing at has an external images so I guess this answer my question if it's even allowed to have images on external sites like this thread points at https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/3043589200_1416100100.png

In case if it not allowed to use external images I was suggesting that maybe the forum settings could be adjusted to avoid the confusion by removing the 'From URL' option completely.

Ok, in fact this is a matter somewhat not so obvious, but the forum uses the service of Obrazki server, being therefore an allowed link to perform upload of images, however in your original post you had used the Imguru server.

Gotcha.

Since file retrieval does not work would it be possible to clarify the forum rules
Don’t upload your files to external servers and post the links, these files will be deleted after a while and the thread will become useless, attach your files in the post. Moderators will delete any posts that includes files uploaded to file sharing servers like Rapidshare, 4shared etc.

Does it mean ANY external server or just file sharing external services? If external images are completely prohibited and file retrieval does not work, maybe the 'insert image by URL' should be disabled altogether?

The rule basically says that all images and files that complement a post should be uploaded in the EDA board servers, this guarantees that they won't be deleted after a while and render the thread useless.
No external server is allowed because in many cases the uploaded content is removed in six month or a year so they will disappear from the post they were included in and make it useless. Even images in personal websites can have the same problem, no one knows is a personal website or article will exist after a year.

Sometime the image from like feature can be useful when referring to an image already uploaded in an older reply.

Yes, I understand how to upload a file to the forum, it is not what I am trying to clarify.

The thread you've pointing at has an external images so I guess this answer my question if it's even allowed to have images on external sites like this thread points at https://obrazki.elektroda.pl/3043589200_1416100100.png

In case if it not allowed to use external images I was suggesting that maybe the forum settings could be adjusted to avoid the confusion by removing the 'From URL' option completely.

This is the server that EDAboard was hosted in before being acquired from WTWH Media. One of the image upload features (The add an image button at the lower right side under the reply text box) still uses that server which is considered a valid server to host images. The attach image icon at the top of the reply editor uses the current EDA board server.

Thank you for the responses, it's much more clear for me now.

Normally I use the 'Add an Image' button. I sometimes do it by pasting a url from a sharing site. It needs to be easy to interpret, and to navigate to, and it has to be an acceptable graphic format. In such cases the image can be grabbed from the sharing site, and converted successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back