Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Power Amplifier Frequency Limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron_do

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

according to Qorvo's datasheet, this device:

TQP7M9103

works from 500 MHz to 4000 MHz. I have downloaded and simulated the S-parameters, and found that I can still get > 12 dB gain up to nearly 6 GHz. So my question is, what kind of limitations would I expect driving this thing beyond 4 GHz? Is P1dB likely to suffer, and if so, why?

Also, what kind of circuitry is likely to be in the package? I suspect it is just a RF transistor with biasing (a current mirror for example).

thanks,
Aaron

It depends a lot on what components you used in your simulation. Input/Output Return loss is likely to suffer. Noise Figure and/or P1dB is likely to suffer due to Return Loss. It may not be stable (oscillation) far above its intended frequency.

I simulated Gumax and it was more than 10 dB up to 6 GHz, so I'm guessing small signal is going to be ok. My concern is really P1dB/OIP3. Is there any reason to suspect that it would degrade at higher frequencies?

thanks,
Aaron

hi aaron,
why dont you simulate P1dB/OIP3 and decide if it will meet your requirement.

hi aaron,
why dont you simulate P1dB/OIP3 and decide if it will meet your requirement.

I don't have a model...just s-parameters. I guess you would need x-parameters for something like that.

regards,
Aaron

what simulation software are you using? for keysight ADS, s-parameter will work. you just need to insert formulars to get P1dB..

what simulation software are you using? for keysight ADS, s-parameter will work. you just need to insert formulars to get P1dB..

Are you sure you don't mean x-parameters? If it were at all possible to do with s-parameters, it would only be an estimate, and would have to rely on a lot of assumptions about the device...

regards,
Aaron

s-parameter is small small signal but provided you are operating in linear region, it should give you good estimate. since you have nothing other then s-parameter, its good to simulate it cos you have no other options available!

Hi pragash,

actually I dont have ADS, so I cant simulate it anyway. However, I am honestly very surprised that such a simulation actually exists. Do you have any information on how it works, or what parameters it requires?

Can anybody else confrim that there is a way to simulate p1db in ADS using s-parameters?

Thanks
Aaron

InGaP/GaAs HBT is the package, but your performance is more dependent on your dielectric and layout and impedance matching circuits. Gain and phase shift will be compromised greatly above 4GHz. I am not sure about stability. In any case it is not specified above this so we cannot guess, nor should you expect good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back