Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

upgrading firmware in ATMEGA1284

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how can i upgrade the firmware on atmega using a pc ?
what are my various options other than using an AVR boot loader device like i am using currently AVR-MKII in combination with atmel studio.
I want to be able to just use the pc and some software to update the firmware.

If an ATmega1284p version of the "optiboot" bootloader is installed on the ATmega1284p, firmware can be loaded through a USB, or RS232 to TTL converter with "avrdude" software.

how can we add usb to atmega1284 ? through FTDI chip?
can the firmware be loaded via the SPI bus?

I use either a USB to TTL converter cable with a PL2303HX chip built into it ( available on ebay ), or a converter using the ATmega16u2, built with the design from the schematic of an arduino, and programmed with arduino DFU firmware.

The converter allows programming the 1284p through the serial UART on the chip, using the "optiboot" bootloader burned onto the ATmega1284p.
The bootloader firmware was downloaded from the "maniacbug 1284p project" on the web.
The bootloader would be loaded on the chip with the AVR-MKII programmer.
Once loaded, a bootloader provides an alternative to using the AVR-MKII SPI programmer.

I will go with PL2303HX chip . so one end will connect to the atmega and other to the pc , now on PC what kind of software I would need to upload the bootloader ? what would I need on the AVR end to trigger the load?

The bootloader .hex file would be uploaded using Atmel Studio and the AVR-MKII programmer.

What version of Windows is being used?
A limitation of the PL2303HX chip is that drivers don't seem to be available for Windows 8.

What is the clock speed of the ATmega1284p ?
The bootloader from the "maniacbug" project is for 16 MHz.

What package is the ATmega1284p ?
The 40 pin PDIP package can have problems with interference on UART 0 from the adjacent oscillator pins. Make sure UART 0 serial communication is working OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.