Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

power supply using silicon controlled rectfier (SCR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr3i

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi!
i am trying to make a 48V 600W power supply using SCR
here's the block diagram for the project
block diagram.jpg
my problem is there is a very large current between the mains and the SCR bridge. it is more or less 100 amperes. any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated
the scr that i am using is 2N6404
and the optocoupler is 4N25

Hi,

48V, 600W means 12.5A average.

Now the SCR is ON for maybe 10..12 degree (every 180 degrees), so it is ON for about 7% of the time.
During this 7% of time you need to achieve 12A average. So it is no wonder that the peak current is at 200 A or more.

What did you expect?

You may relax this a bit by connecting a series inductance (and maybe a diode, Anode to GND) between SCR and LOAD capacitor.
With the inductance the ON time increases and thus the peak current decreases.

Klaus

Reactions: dr3i

dr3i

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What kind of load it is and what is included in "Filter"?

ok i'll try this in my simulation.
thanks!

my filter is only a 10000uF 100V capacitor

Step down transformer....? between the mains and the SCR's doing the rectification? output choke to reduce the peak current in the SCR's?

Is there a particular reason it has to be a SCR based power supply?

As others have mentioned, regulation via SCR phase control will introduce an excessive amount of harmonics back to the mains line.

I agree with schmitt trigger, you better use step-down switching regulators. SCR are from the dark ages before we had power mosfets. You can also use HF inverter like the PSU in your computer.

Add an inductor in Filter (between SCR bridge and capacitor). About 100mH to limit current at 20A.

Reactions: dr3i

dr3i

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@Vbase "scr's are from the dark ages..." yes they may be, but the most reliable and long lived power supplies that money can buy are SCR based...

this is our final project for our industrial electronics subject.
i dont know why our professor let us use SCR, maybe to make things more complicated. he likes it that way

Hi,

"scr's are from the dark ages..."
That´s a too general statement.

We work with industrial current controllers, SCR controlled up to 2500V AC and up to 6000A AC.
Is there an alternative to SCRs?

Klaus

One could mention that the SCR design is obsolete according to newer power quality regulations which restrict the usage of phase angle control considerably. If you don't care about this point, the design can well work with an appropriate inductor. But no chance to implement the project without it.

Hi,

why our professor let us use SCR

It seems to be a school project.
It´s for learning purpose.
Maybe they don´t worry about power quality.

In my industrial application (above) they have a special 10kV / several Megawatts supply network. It´s not operated on public mains.
So they don´t care about power quality.

Klaus

As "KlausST" and "Easy Peasy" indicated, this design needs an inductor before your 10000 uF capacitor. Since you want 12 A, this inductor likely will not be small, or lightweight. So at some point you are no better off (wrt size and weight) than if you simply stepped down the voltage using a transformer. And then an SCR if you are intent on that approach.

Related to this, a hazard of running off the mains is how to ground your system. You will need to be careful that the "0V" in your output waveform diagram is not referenced to a high side of the 220V line.

A transformer also solves this.

Status
Not open for further replies.