Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current sense across the output of a Grid Tie Inverter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dann11

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Current sense at the output side of the Grid Tie inverter is used to sense the presence of the electric utility current across the output for islanding? right?.. where should I connect it?

my block diagram is an inverter stage then an EMI filter, should my current sense loop be connected in between the inverter stage and the EMI filter? or right after the EMI filter?

The current sensor should be connected after the EMI filter. i.e. between the Inverter and the utility mains.
The presence of voltage across the grid is sensed using a PT/or a resistive divider and not by the CT.

The grid acts as a very low impedance load when you intend to pump current into it, hence it is important that you sense the pumped current so that you do not exceed your system's rated specifications.
When the grid voltage is available, the inverter is synchronized with the voltage waveform of the grid, current starts getting pumped, and this current is monitored via the CT and fed to your inverter's control loop.

The current sensor should be connected after the EMI filter. i.e. between the Inverter and the utility mains.
Not necessarily. In case the sensor is utilized for inverter overcurrent detection or space vector modulation with direct current control, it must be placed on the inverter side of the output filter. The output filter is more than an EMI filter, by the way. It's series inductance is essential when connecting a voltage switched inverter to the grid.

The presence of voltage across the grid is sensed using a PT/or a resistive divider and not by the CT.
The OP is asking about islanding detection, which is more than just sensing the grid voltage.

The OP is asking about islanding detection, which is more than just sensing the grid voltage.

What are the different methods of islanding detection?
If we consider rate of change of frequency(ROCOF), it can entirely rely upon the sensed voltage waveform, right?

If we consider rate of change of frequency(ROCOF), it can entirely rely upon the sensed voltage waveform, right?
Yes, but others are evaluating the grid impedance as far as I'm aware of.

I am still a little confused.. i have drawn below a sample block diagram.. this current sense is for anti-islanding purpose.. is it the right location for the current sense? or must I put it elsewhere?

GTI sample BD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back