Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] How to check rs232 to rs485 converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maheshece28

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
I'm having a ICP CON rs232 to rs485 converter. I dont know how to check whether it is working or not?. I've only one rs232 to rs485 converter and usb to serial converter. My rs232 to rs485 converter has a operating voltage is 10-30v dc. i gave power supply of 12v dc with 1A. Rs232 to Rs485 converter's other end is connected to laptop via usb to db9 serial. I've tried one thing that "i've short the data+ and data- of rs232 to rs485 converter and checkin in my laptop hyperterminal whether it shows the character what i'm typing?" but it shows nothing. Is there anyway to check the rs232 to rs485 converter?

Thanks....

Hi,

It should be no problem to follow the signals with a scope.

Draw a picture of the complete circuit. With the complete pin numbers/names.

RS485 is bidirectional on one signal pair, so you need to control when to send, and when to receive, how do you manage this?

Klaus

You need one more converter to test the same.

hi,

you should use one more usb to 485 converter with two hyper terminal.
What you have typing in first terminal should be print on terminal 2..

USB to 485 ----> 485 to 232 ----->232 to usb

The path will be like this..

Thanks for reply guys. Finally i've used another rs485 IC then connected and tested with arduino board. I just transmit the string via arduino to rs232 to rs485 converter i.e arduino---->RS485 IC----->RS232 to RS485 converter----->Laptop hyperterminal. I can receive data from arduino and see it in my laptop hyperterminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.