Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Modem AT command error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman46

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am trying to send a text message from my modem, and the process trips up on one AT command line. In the documentation example it shows quotes " " around the telephone number. Is it necessary to have the quotes or can I get away without using them. Below are the examples:

AT command example I have been using - I have changed my telephone number:

AT+CMGS=+447123456789

AT command example in documentation:

AT+CMGS="+447123456789"

Look forward to your reply.

Rocketman46

Hi,

It would help if you can post the part number or Datasheet of your modem

Gil

Hi Rocket
you have to use this format - AT+CMGS="+447123456789" then next line commands (this is correct if you use SIM900 or quectel modems). you read the character '>' as reply from the Modem then send the text to be sent as SMS.
Thanks

for without quotes send:

AT+CMGS=+447123456789,145

Hi,

Thanks for all of your inputs. I am using a Telit modem GE864, and I keep getting the below error message:

cms error 69 = "Requested facility not implemented" This cause indicates that the network is unable to provide the requested short message service.

I have tried two working SIM cards from two different phones, and they both send text messages to each other when in a phone, but in this modem they show the cms error 69. .

In terminal I have checked I have the correct text message centre, and this is setup with the correct number, the reception is good, and the modem is set in text mode. Everything works great up until the point I send ctrlZ 0x1A. Also I have build 2 PCB's and still no progress.

And input would be gratefully appreciated.

Telit datasheet: Telit_AT_Commands_Reference_Guide_r23.pdf

Many thanks Rocketman46

Code:
Attempt 1
------------
AT+CMGS=+447123456789
> test // ctrl Z
+CMS ERROR: 69

Attempt 2
-----------
AT+CMGS=+447123456789, 145
> test // ctrl Z

Attempt 3
------------
AT+CMGS="+447123456789"
> test // ctrl Z

Attempt 4
-----------
AT+CMGS="+447123456789",145
> test // ctrl Z

a wild guess is that your network provider may not accept any message that originates without IMEI code.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Here in the UK the two biggest providers are Vodafone and O2. Both of these do not work. How, what, where do I look for a SIM card that will work. If you ring them up or go in a shop, the do not understand. Do I therefore need a special m2m card?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Here in the UK the two biggest providers are Vodafone and O2. Both of these do not work. How, what, where do I look for a SIM card that will work. If you ring them up or go in a shop, the do not understand. Do I therefore need a special m2m card?

Many thanks.

Not able to identify the cause of error message in the AT command , i thought that it is the service provider who makes a check on the source of messages .
it may even be for security reasons.

Vodafone supports m2m . all are favouring IOT.
may be the provider wants you to register with them for authorising the source....

all the above guessing are based on the status that it works on phones but not on modems.

I never had problems to send SMS with any modem.

It's not obvious at first sight what causes cms error 69 when using the cards with your modem. But there are various options to set a specific SMS related parameter wrong. My general approach would be to start from &F factory reset and set all necessary parameters, at least switch from default PDU to text mode. You didn't show the complete modem initialization, so it's not clear what you already did.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. FvM have you used general purpose phone shop SIM's card or M2M SIM's?

My AT commands are below:

AT+CGSMS=2 // select gprs

OK
AT+CGATT? // device is attached to gprs

+CGATT: 1

OK
AT+CMGF=1 // text mode

OK
AT+CNMI=2,1

OK
AT+CMGS="+44123456789"

> test // ctrl

- - - Updated - - -

And a few more tests:

Thanks for your help

AT+CMEE=2

OK
AT+CPIN?

+CPIN: READY

OK
AT+CSQ

+CSQ: 14,0

OK
AT#SELINT=2

OK
AT+CGSMS=2

OK
AT+CMGF=1

OK
AT+CNMI=2,1

OK
AT+CMGS=0044123456789

> test

Are you sure that the provider supports SMS via GPRS? Did you try the default setting (CGSMS=1)?

Does your provider require a specific SMS service center address to be set, or is a wrong address stored in the modem?

FvM,

I cannot thank you enough.

I have changed everything other than CGSMS=1. It works now.

Thanks again.

Rocketman46

Status
Not open for further replies.