Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cells set to dont use in library

Status
Not open for further replies.

biju4u90

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
While trying to do PnR of a design, I see that the dont use attribute of 95% of the standard cells in the .lib file of the standard cell library are set to be true. Why they are included in the lib file if they are supposed to be set to dont use?? Can I change the dont use attribute and use the cells in my design?

Answer is YES. How would you do that depends on the tool.

Every mature PnR tool has option to set this attribute to false on list of cells. You'll have to refer to manual to find the syntax.

Has.
https://amzn.to/2tP6lBi

I know that setting the dont use attribute changes the usability of the cell. My question is why most of the cells are being set to don't use in the library? Can I make all those cells usable and use in the design? Or should I take care of something when I change the usability of the cell?

I know that setting the dont use attribute changes the usability of the cell. My question is why most of the cells are being set to don't use in the library? Can I make all those cells usable and use in the design? Or should I take care of something when I change the usability of the cell?

Change dont_use attribute to "FALSE", then you can use those cells.
Before doing so, confirm with library vendor whether it is OK or not.

Before doing so, confirm with library vendor whether it is OK or not.

That is my question too. Can we set the attribute to FALSE without the vendor permission and use those cells? Is it the vendor who should say whether it is OK? If it is not OK, it will be just like a library without those unusable cells. Why should the vendors add unusable cells in the library?

That is my question too. Can we set the attribute to FALSE without the vendor permission and use those cells? Is it the vendor who should say whether it is OK? If it is not OK, it will be just like a library without those unusable cells. Why should the vendors add unusable cells in the library?

The dont_use attribute library can be from:
- Library vendor. You can ask Library Vendor/designer if it is from the library itself.
- Tool behavior. You can ask Tool vendor if the Tool add that atribute automaticall to the library.

Making the decision not to use a cell in a library depended on:
- Library vendor who has the experience on characteristic failure after fabrication result.
- Your design has different conditions than library's range. This can cause function failure or fab failure.

So, you need to confirm with library vendor before making the decision to use the cells.

I hope you can clarify your problem clearly before having the solution.

The dont_use attribute library can be from:
- Tool behavior. You can ask Tool vendor if the Tool add that atribute automaticall to the library.
I don't think the tool adds the attribute automatically, because when I open the .lib file as a text file, I can see most of the cells to be set as don't use.
What I don't understand is that why the library vendors provide unusable cells in the library!! To be precise, in my library, 95% of the cells are set to be don't use!! If they are not supposed to be used, why do they give them in the library?

I don't think the tool adds the attribute automatically, because when I open the .lib file as a text file, I can see most of the cells to be set as don't use.
What I don't understand is that why the library vendors provide unusable cells in the library!! To be precise, in my library, 95% of the cells are set to be don't use!! If they are not supposed to be used, why do they give them in the library?

Then, ask your library vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back