Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INL & DNL Calculations in Cadence Spectre

Status
Not open for further replies.

hossein_jalali

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys;
I've recently simulated a SAR ADC in Cadence & now I want to measure the INL & DNL of the ADC. Each conversion takes 3us. I have designed this ADC for 5 bits & therefore we are going to have 32 states in the output. I've attached my 5 bit output to a 5 bit ideal DAC so that I can compare the analog input slow ramp to the digital codes which are then converted to analog by this ideal DAC.

What do you think the simulation time should be?? I have tried 1920us so that I can collect 20 samples for each code. Every code takes 3 us & therefore 32*20*3us=1920us.

How can I plot the INL & DNL after the simulation is done?? We are going to have analog input ramp versus time & also output data (converted to analog) versus time. How should we calculate & plot INL & DNL by having these two??

Thanks.

Hi,

i don`t think with 20 samples per code you get meaningfull DNL or INL information. It is too low of timing resolution.

Is it usefull for a 5 bit ADC to calculate DNL and INL?
For sure it is possible... But I don´t think you will do signal processing / analog signal analyzing with this low resolution ADC.

Do you expect a larger error than +/- 0.6 LSB?

If you really want to do INL/DNL measurement, then keep an eye on the analog input value at the "hold" edge of the S/H circuit.

Klaus

Hi,

i don`t think with 20 samples per code you get meaningfull DNL or INL information. It is too low of timing resolution.

Is it usefull for a 5 bit ADC to calculate DNL and INL?
For sure it is possible... But I don´t think you will do signal processing / analog signal analyzing with this low resolution ADC.

Do you expect a larger error than +/- 0.6 LSB?

If you really want to do INL/DNL measurement, then keep an eye on the analog input value at the "hold" edge of the S/H circuit.

Klaus

It is part of my project & I should perform these simulations. Collecting more samples per code needs days of simulation. What should I finally do to calculate INL & DNL of these ADC??

Not Useful !
Sure it would - if you'd just bother to take the trouble and read the definitions!

Collecting more samples per code needs days of simulation. What should I finally do to calculate INL & DNL ...?
For your few samples you can easily plot the simple arithmetic context (s. above!) for the DNL & INL results.

Sure it would - if you'd just bother to take the trouble and read the definitions!

For your few samples you can easily plot the simple arithmetic context (s. above!) for the DNL & INL results.

Thanks. I used the formula in that text & I could plot the DNL by extracting the data from the Cadence & doing some simple calculations in MATLAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back