+ Post New Thread
    Junior Member level 2

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Refer me free resources to learn Microcontroller

Hi everybody,

I want to revise my learning on Microcontrollers. I am not a beginner but since long not got my hands back to microcontroller projects due to other works.

I have done some AVR project earlier in my univ. Data logger on Atmel writing data to eeprom with RTC and PC serial port interface.

After many years I want to start again playing with Microcontrollers.
    I have arduino uno in working order and a ultrasonic sensor and few other devices like LCD etc.

Q. can you suggest some Medium expertise level free resources for revising my learning and mastering more. Good books, web sources , etc?
    Last edited by sunnyimran; 10th December 2015 at 16:06. Reason: add more info

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 3

Helped
    31 / 31
    Level

Re: Refer me free resources to learn Microcontroller

The Arduino Cookbook is a good reference on Arduino. It has examples covering a wide range of applications.

http://it-ebooks.info/book/538/

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    2 / 2
    Level

Hi,

to be honest in my opinion arduino is not a good idea. It actually separates you from real hardware. The best way in my opinion is to buy a development board (5-40quid), start a bare metal programming. When you become familiar with timers, interrupts etc etc - you can of course join the arduino community. Internet is the best source of knowledge.

I came back to electronics after almost 30 years, and actually now i have finished my first project (on-board glow plug driver).
    Last edited by franekz; 10th December 2015 at 17:52.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    402 / 402
    Level

I don't know much about this area, can't recommend books, but recommend going to the sources websites: as you mentioned, Atmel, and so on. Chip manufacturers have great resources and tools. Sounds silly, but reading PIC or whatever device datasheets is a way of learning how the hardware is organised and functions as well.

Junior Member level 2

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by franekz View Post
    Hi,

to be honest in my opinion arduino is not a good idea. It actually separates you from real hardware. The best way in my opinion is to buy a development board (5-40quid), start a bare metal programming. When you become familiar with timers, interrupts etc etc - you can of course join the arduino community. Internet is the best source of knowledge.

I came back to electronics after almost 30 years, and actually now i have finished my first project (on-board glow plug driver).
    Thanks bro you are right, arduino is not a bare metal project and most of the things are ready made. Lot of interfacing challenges have already been solved.

Actually PIC and ATMEL are the ones that go from hobby projects to professional devices. I did work on ATMEL very well.

All that said, At the moment I have limited project resources and they are from arduino. so let's get started. That's the idea.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered Created Blog entry
    Helped
    275 / 275
    Level
    Blog Entries

I also agree with what franekz has said.

From my own experience I can recommend going for an ARM based uC. You can buy the $12 Tiva C series TM4C123G LaunchPad Evaluation Kit from Texas Instruments.
    There are excellent 'get-started' vdos on YouTube on how use this development board and an associated IDE (IAR Systems).

FPGA enthusiast!

--[[ ]]--