Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HF, VHF and UHF in one chip, possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ton-ton

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there all in one kind of chip that I can hook in to a circuit and get 30MHz-3GHz with 1 MHz resolution ?

Why is it so hard to find an electric device (receiver) that works on all of the rf spectrum ? from 1Hz to 3000GHz .

Is it better to build such a receiver with analog tuning or use a pre-set chip ?

Welcome ton-ton

Why is it so hard to find an electric device (receiver) that works on all of the rf spectrum ? from 1Hz to 3000GHz .

Consider a simple gap capacitance, which we approximate as a frequency-indipendant capacitance C. Since Z = jωC, where ω = 2*pi*frequency, you can see that Z will change drastically over this frequency range.

Since many device operations, such as the acceptance of power, depend on Z, this will give a large change in behaviour with respect to frequency.

Now imagine that the gap capacitance depends on frequency (as it does in real life)... things change with frequency rather drastically.

Now imagine you had thousands of such components interconnected on a chip.

There really is no way to make something that's not frequency-dependant, while being more functional than a brick.

Is there all in one kind of chip that I can hook in to a circuit and get 30MHz-3GHz with 1 MHz resolution ?

Is it better to build such a receiver with analog tuning or use a pre-set chip ?

its because you cant do matching for such a broad application. receiver is nothing but LNA, filter, mixer and etc. LNA and filters requires matching. i dont need to explain what is impedance matching to you. in order to meet the broad bandwidth (3000GHz) matching must be done within the Q circle. Qmax = fo/3dB BW

fo is mean frequency and 3dB BW is 3dB bandwidth. 3dB Bandwidth can be calculated with another equation but basically 0.5dB BW is what you want to achieve. 0.5dB BW = fstop - fstart. the larger the bandwidth, the lower is the Qmax and its harder for to match the impedance.

we know that capacitor and inductor varies in frequency. multipoint impedance matching technique (real frequency technique) could be a solution for this problem. there are ppl who demonstrated PAs and LNAs in IEEE using this technique. but nobody have done matching for the whole system using RFT

- - - Updated - - -

GaN solutions for Amplifiers available but i haven't seen any receiver with GaN yet!

What is the purpose of your chip application? MMICs are designed for a particular application, and only when the high quantity can be expected to sell, they are manufactured.

Tell us what you need such chip for, maybe there is a ready-made IC, maybe for cable TV modems or similar.
From your question it looks you have no idea what 3000 GHz means...

It has been a long time since dealing with RF for me (about 10 years). I want to play with RF frequency, explore different RF uses and devices (routers,remote controls, walkie talkie and etc..) and play with the data encryption .
Today Im a software engineer and no longer play with electronics, I want to combine the both for exploration .

I read also about SDR that can give me what I want, from 30KHz-1.7GHz (for a cheap device) .

What do you think?

Thanks for all people answering !!

No application .
I just want to play with electronics and different RF devices (for example try decrypt remote control data, activating my remote helicopter , encode messages on FM frequenties and decrypt on another device and etc..)

For such activity you can find SDR dongles allowing reception from 1 MHz to over 1.5 GHz. RF sensitivity then depends on digital filtering and programming. Or find a VHF-UHF receiver like IRF6000 or an UHF scanner.
Check RFMicroDevices for "Cable TV" wideband amplifiers covering 5 MHz to 2-3 GHz. Or www.minicircuits.com...

I have an AOR scanner that goes from ~ 150kHz to 3 GHz

quite a good receiver :)

EDIT .... oops 530kHz (low end) still a freakin great range !! AOR 8200 MK3

Dave

TV Tuners can cover this spectrum as a receiver.They can work between 30MHz-1250 MHz.
Look at www.nxp.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back