Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to gain deep knowledge of Vector CANoe to solve missed CAN messages problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jani12

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Our Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is based on Renesas RH850F1L Microcontroller. We basically have closed loop control system.

Outputs of this ECU power DC Motors to move Third-Row Minivan Seats.

ECU inputs are coming from DC Motor. This feedback signal is hall pulses indicating whether motor is turning or not or whether seat is moving or not.

The software running in the ECU talks to PC Based CAN tool. They talk over simple proprietary protocol. They basically talk over 11-bit CAN.

When the seat is moving, every 10ms, software running in the ECU sends seat position message to PC Based CAN Tool. When seat is at position 1, position 1 message is sent to the tool. After 10ms, position 2 message is sent to the tool. After next 10ms, position 3 message is sent to the tool, and so on.

If everything is working correctly, over 1000 consecutive position messages will be sent to the tool. Time between these messages will be about 10ms.

The problem is that from time to time messages are getting missed. The message that don't make it to the tool also don't show up in the CAN log.

First 80 position CAN messages are correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position messages 81 through 84 don't show up in the tool. Also, they don't show up in the CAN log.
Position messages 85 to 122 are correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position message 123 doesn't show up in the tool. Also, it's missing from the CAN log.
Position messages 124 to 177 will be correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position message 178 to 181 don't show up in the tool. Also, they don't show up in the CAN log.

And so on.

I'm using very complex CANoe Configuration File that was created by someone else. It's overwhelming. There are so many nodes, so many message in CAN Trace.

From where do I begin to debug this problem.

11-bit proprietary protocol messages are exchanged between ECU and tool. Also, CANoe is sending so many messages. I don't even know what all these messages are. I have a hint as follows:

Hint: CANoe sends messages to ECU in bursts. Instead, it needs to send them at slower rate. This might be the reason low priority position messages are missed from ECu. Turn off some nodes in CANoe.
This shouldn't be ECU software problem because it's not sending messages in bursts.

This is challenging problem for me because I don't have sufficient CANoe knowledge. Please help debug this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Please allow me to provide some more information:

First 79 messages are received. Time between these messages is about 10ms.

Message 80 is received late. Time between message 79 to message 80 is about 55ms. In this 55ms, different nodes of CANoe transmit messages. Time between these messages is 1ms or much less than 1ms.

Message 81, 82, 83, and 84 isn't received at all. To me, this means that ECU never sent these messages. Do you agree?

Next message I receive is 85. I don't think it's CANoe problem that message 81 got missed ?

Our Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is based on Renesas RH850F1L Microcontroller. We basically have closed loop control system.

Outputs of this ECU power DC Motors to move Third-Row Minivan Seats.

ECU inputs are coming from DC Motor. This feedback signal is hall pulses indicating whether motor is turning or not or whether seat is moving or not.

The software running in the ECU talks to PC Based CAN tool. They talk over simple proprietary protocol. They basically talk over 11-bit CAN.

When the seat is moving, every 10ms, software running in the ECU sends seat position message to PC Based CAN Tool. When seat is at position 1, position 1 message is sent to the tool. After 10ms, position 2 message is sent to the tool. After next 10ms, position 3 message is sent to the tool, and so on.

If everything is working correctly, over 1000 consecutive position messages will be sent to the tool. Time between these messages will be about 10ms.

The problem is that from time to time messages are getting missed. The message that don't make it to the tool also don't show up in the CAN log.

First 80 position CAN messages are correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position messages 81 through 84 don't show up in the tool. Also, they don't show up in the CAN log.
Position messages 85 to 122 are correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position message 123 doesn't show up in the tool. Also, it's missing from the CAN log.
Position messages 124 to 177 will be correctly sent by ECU and correctly received by the tool.
Position message 178 to 181 don't show up in the tool. Also, they don't show up in the CAN log.

And so on.

I'm using very complex CANoe Configuration File that was created by someone else. It's overwhelming. There are so many nodes, so many message in CAN Trace.

From where do I begin to debug this problem.

11-bit proprietary protocol messages are exchanged between ECU and tool. Also, CANoe is sending so many messages. I don't even know what all these messages are. I have a hint as follows:

Hint: CANoe sends messages to ECU in bursts. Instead, it needs to send them at slower rate. This might be the reason low priority position messages are missed from ECu. Turn off some nodes in CANoe.
This shouldn't be ECU software problem because it's not sending messages in bursts.

This is challenging problem for me because I don't have sufficient CANoe knowledge. Please help debug this problem.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back