Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Carbon Monoxide Sensor be used to measure CO's ppm in the Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaughn

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've never used any gas sensor before but I would like to try some experiment with Carbon Monoxide sensor and my doubt is, Can we used CO sensor to measure the quantity of CO in the free air in PPM or this sensor is only useful for checking the presence of CO in the air?

It all depends on the sensor you want to use. If it gives an analogue output based on the concentration of CO in the air, I suppose you could calibrate it. If the sensor is a threshold sensor giving out an alarm signal, it is normally only showing the alarm on/off status. You should also be aware that measuring the CO contents in the air also need the actual temperature to compute the CO value.

Reactions: Vaughn

Vaughn

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
**broken link removed**
Your answer is very informative, I searched for Sensor and got two results. Both consists MQ7 and both have an analog output, one of them is only Sensor without any additional PCB and one have some circuit board along. Now my situation is I want to read the concentration and then want to display it in the LCD:

1. which sensor to go with?
2. what are those additional components along with sensor on the right of the image, is it any OPAMP are to stabilize the output?
3. There are 6 pins in the plain sensor by name A, H, A on one-half side and B, H, B on another, What are the corresponding connections to them. (Not clearly mentioned in datasheet or I didn't understand). Thanks

SnO2 semiconductor sensor like MQ-7 aren't very selective and at best suited for half-quantitative measurements. As the datasheet reveals, MQ-7 is also sensitive to all combustible gases and the sensitivity is strongly affected by air humidity. If you make your instrument display "ppm CO", you shouldn't take the numbers too serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back