Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Coaxial Connector TDR| HFSS Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

prba6629

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to simulate a coax connector in HFSS and trying to correlate simulation results with theoretical formulae. Currently, I have modeled a coax connector with a GOLD inner conductor and PTFE dielectric(epsilon = 2.1). I have setup ports at both ends of the coax with port impedances 50 and 80 ohms respectively.

As per theoretical results, velocity of signal in the coax = 3 x 10^8m/s / sqrt(epsilon)
= 207 mm/ns. Round trip time delay = 2 X Length of coax / velocity of signal in coax. For a coax of length 10mm, RTT delay = 96.6 ps.

Therefore, I am expecting all the reflected signal ( rho = 80-50/80+50 = 23%) to be seen at exactly 96.6 ps. But, from simulations, I am seeing all the reflected signal at close to 120 ps and not the expected 96.6 ps.

It would be a great help if you could point out the mistake either in my simulation setup or analytcial formulation? Thanks.

NOTE : I have attached my HFSS file for reference.

Attachments

• coax_hfss_updated_1 - Copy.aedt.zip
    22.2 KB · Views: 105

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back