Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

getting started with IOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disha Karnataki

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have previously programmed on 8051 and have recently started programing on arduino.
I wanted to start with IOT (internet of things). As a firsthand project i wanted to interface a potentiometer to arduino and send its voltage values to my smartphone. How do i start doing this.

As a firsthand project i wanted to interface a potentiometer to arduino and send its voltage values to my smartphone. How do i start doing this.

Hello..
I think its too early for you to start with smartphones. First you have to deal with any Ethernet module or wifi module. The esp8266 wifi module is the best because of its low cost and small size. You have to learn to use the AT commands for these module.

**broken link removed**

After that you may use any cloud services like thinkspeak.com or grovestreams.com to stream your sensor data.
Its okay, to move with smartphones if you familiar with these modules..

Last edited:

You can also look into the more comprehensive IoT solution provider to ease out things..look for someone who can provide you the IoT WiFi modules as well as ready to use hosted cloud server.

Have a look at this company WhizNets..Readily available off-the-shelf reference designs are good to start for Internet of things activity to save on your energy and cost..
https://www.whiznets.com/iot-solution/iot-device-cloud.html

Hey Guy ! You can use RapberryPi SBC for that project that comes with an 10 Base T ethernet/internet port that you can connect to your LAN switch. You connect your potentiometer to GPIO's of the RasPi and write program to convert that to digital , ADC program , because RasPi does not have any direct analog input like arduino. Then access this program over internet using port 8080 by forwarding your router port. You would have to install apache server on RasPi and make several other configurations see on raspi website or just search internet.

ESP8266 is a best choice for the IOT. If you are planning to use the esp8266 you don't need to use AT commands. Esp8266 is an SOC and it has 32bit high performance cpu inside with lot of features like adc, uart,i2c etc. It can be programmed by arduino IDE or NodeMCU firmware. Please do some google search to understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back