Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this oscilloscope looks good to measure SPI signals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leolib2004

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am looking for and oscilloscope that would help me to measure these signals:

- SPI of at least 20 MHz (the max freq would be of 60 MHz but I could test at 20 MHz)
- 12 MHz clock signal
- i2c

Would this help? https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1519694.pdf

I am mostly concerned about the fact that it only has 16K as the memory buffer (I could use more connected to a PC, it seems to work) and that I am not sure what kind of probes would I need to avoid interfering with the signals.
Just the ones that come with the oscilloscope?

I don't want to spend more than that and I don't need to decode, or trigger, exactly the signal. I just want to be able to debug it in order to know if there is something wrong in the firmware.

Thanks.

Some of your questions seem to indicate that you are somewhat confused as to the purpose of an oscilloscope and possibly have it's functionality mixed up with a logic analyzer.

Unless you are dealing with a high-end scope that has protocol checkers built in. Any scope with 60-100 MHz bandwidth should suffice for what you've describe as your input signals.

Use the scope probes that come with the unit. Most important is if the scope is a DSO (it is), which will mean you can easily capture a triggered signal in a one-shot mode giving you the ability to capture one waveform of a SPI transfer and see that it's correct.

That's exactly what I am trying to do. I was mainly concerned about not interfering with the SPI signals, considering capacitances of the probes, etc.
I don't need a logic Analyzer. If one package is fine and as expected for the slave, I will then send the rest of the message accordingly.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.