Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest device for 100+ FPS camera board

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek_k_chd

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm a researcher trying to build a device that grabs RAW monochrome VGA images from a fast, LVDS camera (100+ frames per second) and stores them onto a SD card, and also drives a touch LCD (plus a trifle little other logic)

I'm wondering what would be the correct development platform for this? Should I go with an ARM based system OR a FPGA+ARM based one OR a FPGA alone.

I'm confused since I have never worked professionally with high speed designs and hence am wondering (especially after reading through some posts) if even a 1 GHz ARM can handle that kind of data flow.

The experienced designers - could you please suggest something? Thanks a ton !!!

BTW, the device is for a medical diagnostic method and is envisioned to be mass-marketable and hence needs to be low cost (which is why I'm :bang: at the PYTHON300 image sensor from OnSemi instead of buying a ready-made but costly USB camera).

If you want to drive an LCD, then you're going to need a processor. If you want to do some image manipulation before storage then the FPGA will be idea for that.

You havent said what kind of resolution and pixel rate this image is. and the bit depth?

If you want to drive an LCD, then you're going to need a processor. If you want to do some image manipulation before storage then the FPGA will be idea for that.

You havent said what kind of resolution and pixel rate this image is. and the bit depth?

Thanks.

I need very little image manipulation (maybe a little image cropping and such).

I said VGA resolution. But forgot to mention that it's at 8-bit or 10-bit depth (depending on what image quality I get).
And the pixel rate would be ~300K pixels per image x 100+ images per second = 30 M pixel /sec
And the corresponding data rate would be 30 M pixel /sec x ~1 byte/pix = 30 MegaByte per second (atleast).

That really isnt that much data
Im an FPGA guy, but that volume of data into/out of an ARM should be ok.

the device is for a medical diagnostic

Depending on the kind and amount of real time processing required, an approach based only on an ARM core may be overloaded, leading it to the limit of its capacity.

That really isnt that much data
Im an FPGA guy, but that volume of data into/out of an ARM should be ok.

AFAIK, what andre has said stands true. And even more so with Linux. I see lots of context switches even when no "extra" software is running...and a processor, I suspect, would miss out on some frames. UNLESS I could get a 2-core or 4-core processor and dedicate a core solely to capturing images. And even then there's the issue of what GPIO or othe peripheral could manage that data rate (given that it's serial data).

So I'm hoping someone with experience in programming real-time multi-core ARM systems could shed some light on this.
Or maybe someone familiar with FPGAs could share a few tips !

Thank you, both of you :)

I´m not expert in FPGA, but in my lay sight what Tricky mentioned above seems perfectly feasible if you consider using some ARM core built in together with a GPU unit. Anyway, you did not mentioned yet the application, neither the principal functions required, as well if it will be done real time or furhter.

I´m not expert in FPGA, but in my lay sight what Tricky mentioned above seems perfectly feasible if you consider using some ARM core built in together with a GPU unit. Anyway, you did not mentioned yet the application, neither the principal functions required, as well if it will be done real time or furhter.

I could get an ARM+GPU - am currently thinking of using a Beaglebone black or RPi2.

Sorry I missed these details but I do need a real time unit. The principal function is to grab images from the sensor as fast as possible and store them on to a SD card (or some other memory) so that these images can later be processed (for medical diagnostic). The end application is portable disease diagnosis (more details at http://iap.iisc.ernet.in/~saisiva.gorthi/research.html)

If I understood correctly, the system will not perform realtime processing, but just store images at an embeded memory, correct ? The Beaglebone Black is based on the Allwiner A20 uP, that supports the video H.264 format, so that by using the cheapest known webcam ($30) which encode with that standard, you could avoid the need of an FPGA acceleration, but I´m not sure if would achieve the 100fps rate as you mentioned above. A real testbench is required to determine it precisely.

If I understood correctly, the system will not perform realtime processing, but just store images at an embeded memory, correct ? The Beaglebone Black is based on the Allwiner A20 uP, that supports the video H.264 format, so that by using the cheapest known webcam ($30) which encode with that standard, you could avoid the need of an FPGA acceleration, but I´m not sure if would achieve the 100fps rate as you mentioned above. A real testbench is required to determine it precisely.

Yes Andre, that's all the need as of now.
The whole issue is about interfacing to a particular camera chip, else it all would've been done by now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back