Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Short circuit fault on a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledOsmani

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've connected a 220/190VAC transformer to a 160-190/12VAC transformer, whereas the outputted 12VAC is connected to a single phase full bridge rectifier.

The 12VDC is then connected to a voltage divider with output of 5VDC

This 5VDC is shunted with a 100pf ceramic capacitor.

There was a severe short-circuit causing the main electricity to a temporary shutdown.

When I disconnected the circuit from the power line, and made a short circuit test upon 220/190VAC transformer, I saw that the GND of the TR is short circuited with the 190VAC as well with the 220VAC terminals.

I made this same SC test with the 160;220/12VAC TR, and also saw the high level voltages terminals are short circuited as well as the low voltage terminals also short circuited.

The resistive voltage divider circuit was burnt.

Both TR are permanently short circuited.

Anyone have explanations about what happened??

Chances of secondary winding getting short circuit are less and the low resistance of the secondary could get registered as a short if not carefully measured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back