Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to create power bank 10 volt using 2 power bank 5 volt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alibarghi

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have 2 power bank 5 volt 10000 mAh . how to make them one power bank with 10 volt 10000 mAh?

The obvious move is to put them in series. 5+5 = 10V.

What is the resulting A-Hrs? Do we add the two values? (10000 + 10000 ?) This calculation is not so obvious. It is easy to make a mistake if we approach it with our intuitive sense alone. It ought to be done in a way that considers the total picture. So I prefer to convert to Watts, then combine the power banks, then convert back to A-Hrs.

What answer do you get?

Is it safe to cut two USB cables and combine one line, in order to put two power base in series?

Is it safe to cut two USB cables and combine one line, in order to put two power base in series?

It works on paper. However, to be safe you need to determine what kind of isolation you have. We can't see inside the converters. There is a chance that the power sources (computer, 12 VDC, mains AC, etc.) could find some internal path inside the converters. You might get a short circuit, or ruined components.

Is your power source an expensive computer? Then I would not risk ruining a USB port.

The question is will this interfere with USB communications and what is the coupling of noise from one source to the other in terms of CM noise effects on data and isolation voltage and protection on each output during shutdown to prevent voltage reversal? I would not use this method.

It would make more sense to use 3 LiPo cells and ultra-low drop LDO if you needed exactly 10V or some constant current.

Using the 9-12V DC output USB option power bank might make more sense with appropriate hardware.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1056087-REG/power_bank_pb10k_power_bank_10k.html

Status
Not open for further replies.