Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Standard grid size for analog layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

pal114525

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can anyone please tell me the standard grid size (mm) for a typical analog layout.

Thanks & Regards.

For maximum efficiency always use the largest possible grid size, this will depend on the components used and board density.
For older style analogue using SOIC devices I will use a grid of 0.635mm if the board isn't that dense... for HDI analogue designs using full metric footprints to IPC-7351 standard I will use a grid of between 0.25 - 0.05mm depending on the density of the area I am working in.
A larger grid minimises the amount of Cartesian points you can snap too, so the larger the grid the more efficient your layout will be and tidier. You also have to think about trace widths and trace to trace spacing but planning this all out will pay dividends. Those of us who started of doing hand tape ups learnt this instinctively as we did tape ups, those who started on CAD tend to be sillier and use very small grids, these are inefficient and lead to too many data points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back