Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Skin Effect and Skin Depth Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antenna (^.^)

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am having trouble understanding the difference between skin effect and skin depth.
I know what they are; that:

Skin effect is when there is more current flow nearer to the conductor surface as frequency increases, rather than utilizing the whole cross sectional conductor area.

Skin depth is 1/e or 37% of the outer surface current density value (the maximum current boundary at the perimeter of a wire).

I know that skin depth is different for every conductor,
However I can't understand how skin depth is different for different frequencies.

If the skin depth is 1/e or 37% of the outer surface current density value, and
this outer surface current density value is the same/constant for all frequencies,
hence 37% of this value will be the same too for all frequencies??

Or is there a problem with my reasoning?

Hi,

Skin depth or skin penetration definitely depends on frequency.

With high frequency there will be more current at the outer diameter of a wire than in it's center.
The current is decreasing continously from surface to center.
Let's say at the surface is 100%, decreasing to 90%..80%...50%...37%..20%...
At the 37% point the skin depth is defined. But it may be 0.1mm with high frequency and 0.3 mm with lower frequency.

--> The 37% is just the point of where the depth is defined. But the depth itself differs.
The curve is steeper with higher frequencies.

Klaus

skin depth = 0.066 / SQRT(MHz) in mm, (for copper) so thinner with rising frequency...

as you say the skin depth tells the distance at which the current density falls to 37% of that at the surface....

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back