Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Noise modelling in UMC 65nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwieg

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been playing with the UMC 65nm PDK for designing low noise OTAs for operation from 100kHz-10MHz, and have found that the noise simulation results change in strange ways depending on what device models I choose. In particular I'm comparing twp low threshold 1.2V pmos types, one regular and one RF version. And the RF version has an optional thermal noise enhancement flag, which changes the results as well, so that means there are three variations in total.

So I compare all three variations with identical drain bias current and voltage (strong inversion, saturated), and same W and L. The DC operating points, including Vgs and gm, are very similar, but the noise results are not. Below (left to right) shows plots of drain current spot noise from the normal pmos, the RF pmos with thermal enhancement, and the RF pmos without thermal enhancement.

So at 1MHz, the normal pmos has the highest noise, while RF pmos is lower, especially without the noise enhancement (which is even less than theory would predict). At 100kHz, the difference between normal and RF PMOS is even greater.

From what I understand, the normal and RF varieties aren't really different devices (same doping, same oxide, etc), but using the RF device models in my schematic means that when moving to layout I will automatically get cells optimized for noise, which is nice. But when I simulate based on RF models at low-ish frequencies, can my results be trusted?

To further compound the issue, I will actually be biasing the transistors very close to subthreshold, but the model documents say that the RF thermal noise enhancements are not valid for Vgs<0.45V. I have seen that under these conditions, the RF models with noise enhancement actually give much more noise than the normal device models...

... the RF models with noise enhancement actually give much more noise than the normal device models...
Doesn't enhancement mean increase? ;-) No, of course it shouldn't, in this case. SCNR!
From what I understand, the normal and RF varieties aren't really different devices (same doping, same oxide, etc), ...
AFAIR doping, especially doping profile and depth can be different for RF transistors.

Reactions: mtwieg

mtwieg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Doesn't enhancement mean increase? ;-) No, of course it shouldn't, in this case. SCNR!
Right, but the fact that which device type is noisier depends greatly on inversion level doesn't give me much confidence.

AFAIR doping, especially doping profile and depth can be different for RF transistors.
I'm pretty sure it would be against NDA to post the model files, but from what I can tell junction depth xj is the same, and low field mobility u0 is within 10%. I also see that many of the noise parameters are different, but nothing really sticks out that says the actual devices are fabricated differently. I just assumed that the RF models were tweaked to give them better accuracy for specific applications.

If they are actually fabricated differently, then the layout cells would give that away by using different masks, right?

Right, but the fact that which device type is noisier depends greatly on inversion level doesn't give me much confidence.
Why not? Weak inversion operation isn't bad for LN design, see this paper.

If they are actually fabricated differently, then the layout cells would give that away by using different masks, right?
Sure, plus possibly more masks and technology steps. Even with identical u0 and xj values you could have high-k metal gate or deep nwell isolation,
see e.g. this Intel presentation, slides 15 ff.

Reactions: mtwieg

mtwieg

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Why not? Weak inversion operation isn't bad for LN design, see this paper.
Right, which is why I plan on using weak inversion to get optimal gm/Ids. I didn't mean that it's strange that inversion level changes noise. It's strange that the RF variant has lower noise than the regular variant in strong inversion, but the opposite is true in weak inversion. This is despite the fact that both variants always have nearly the same gm.

Sure, plus possibly more masks and technology steps. Even with identical u0 and xj values you could have high-k metal gate or deep nwell isolation,
see e.g. this Intel presentation, slides 15 ff.
I took a look, and there are only two layers in the RF type layouts which are not present in the normal ones, but they are not drawn layers. One seems to be a simple RF device identifier, which I presume is just to help LVS. The other one is called DIFF_CAD, and I have no idea what its purpose is. It's listed in the layer mapping file, which doesn't actually explain what any of the layers mean...

I'm sure there aren't any high-K dielectrics, it uses the same poly layer, and I don't see any n-wells...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back