Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendations: Camera module for Raspberry Pi/Beagleboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

prateek_k_chd

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all !

I need to buy a (rather rare?) camera module to go with my Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone.

The requirements are : Global shutter, VGA or better, 100 Frames per second or more, monochrome, less than US $ 100 and preferably NOT USB.

I'm searched a lot but having trouble finding a supplier. Could anyone please suggest a source?

Thanks a ton!

Hi

I've looked at that one and it doesn't satisfy my biggest requirement - global shutter
:(

Thanks for the suggestion anyways

Could the more experienced members suggest how should I go about searching? I'm currently just fishing through the internet with Google as the hook.

Is there any structured way to go about it?

Bumping for help.

It is not that easy to get a global shutter camera at that price range and interface. Why don't you try a USB camera with high shutter speed and FPS (Still I'm, not sure about 100FPS). I doubt Pi's ability to process/record/show 100FPS video stream.

Did you see the product family from Omnivision ?

[Moved]high speed link between uC & Android - possible ?

Hi all,

I need a uC that can take about 400 MegaBytes / sec of data via a serial port (from a monochrome VGA camera @ 100 FPS) and pass it on to an Android tablet/phone.

The questions popping in my head are -

(a) which would be the cheapest controller/board for this job - Raspberry pi? Beaglebone? perhaps something still cheaper?

(b) What type of board-tablet can transfer @ this rate - wifi? bluetooth? something else ?

(c) has this been done before (so I don't end up reinventing the wheel) ?

If anyone's in the know, please suggest.

Thanks !

@anandpv : Unfortunately, I absolutely need global shutter. But I'm curious about your comment on RP - it's 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM. Shouldn't it be able to record a 100 FPS VGA video (my calculations say the datarate from camera will be 32 Mbps or 4 MBPS).

@andre_teprom : Oh yes, that's my first choice. Unfortunately it's turning out to be hard to get this in Asia (India). You would think it should be available in plenty since Google's using it, but that logic of mine has failed.

that's my first choice. Unfortunately it's turning out to be hard to get this in Asia (India). You would think it should be available in plenty since Google's using it, but that logic of mine has failed.
The link that I provided above contains contact of 2 offices, one at US and another at HK, not too far from your country. Did you at least contacted them to check actual stock availability as well if they can ship to India ?

Oh really sorry - I didn't notice it's a link.

I have now sent them an email requesting delivery to India (although it's strange that they are selling a $3 part for $76. What a huge margin!)

Thanks again!

Re: [Moved]high speed link between uC & Android - possible ?

I wonder how 4 MByte/s video data in your previous posts multiplied to now 400 MByte/s? I suspect a typo.

Re: [Moved]high speed link between uC & Android - possible ?

@FvM : Oh yes, that's a typo. It should read 4 MBps
Thanks !

@anandpv : Unfortunately, I absolutely need global shutter. But I'm curious about your comment on RP - it's 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM. Shouldn't it be able to record a 100 FPS VGA video (my calculations say the datarate from camera will be 32 Mbps or 4 MBPS).

@andre_teprom : Oh yes, that's my first choice. Unfortunately it's turning out to be hard to get this in Asia (India). You would think it should be available in plenty since Google's using it, but that logic of mine has failed.

1. I hope you are talking about CSi interface of RPi. Yes, It is a really fast interface but unfortunately it is not a standard interface and you will not be able to connect cameras other than what RPi foundation says(OV5647). Also, camera is controlled by GPU directly and the driver is not open. So, CPU has nothing to do with this interface.
(please correct me if i'm wrong)

2. 640x480 @100 fps (USB camera) - I believe frame drop rate will not be acceptable (I haven't tested this config yet. I may be wrong)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back