Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Send data to client without request

Status
Not open for further replies.

moottii

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
In regular request/response between client and server, first a client initiates a request to server, then server responses.
Assume that the server always knows the IP address of its clients (note that clients have dynamic IP address). Is it possible to send data to them without request from clients? By "without request from clients" I mean server must be able to send data to clients whenever wants.
Thanks

Hi,

You can build your own protocol and use it.
Within a network segment this may be OK.

But as soon as you leave a network segment, especially when ARP is used, I see no chance.

Klaus

What do you mean by "Within a network segment"?
Also I saw some say about "Persistent Connection". Is it possible to use "Persistent Connection" for this?

Hi,

Sorry, my mistake: instead of "ARP" i meant --> "NAT"
here some information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

IP network, Layer2 or Layer3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_segment

Even with "persistent connection" the client starts the communication as far as i know (but i´m not 100% sure, I´m no network expert)
After the client has started, and the connection is persistent, then the server has the ability to talk to the client. (Maybe this way Voip works).

Maybe you find a network expert that can better assist you there.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.