Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

received power in dipole antenna ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilpaulv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i designed a wire dipole antenna in FEKO and simulated it . i found it directivity by using the equation
Directivity = 2/(cosθ1-cosθ2) . θ1,θ2 are the 3db points of elevation plane of the dipole antenna. i got θ1 as 51.6 degree and θ2 as 128.6 degree hence my directivity becomes 1.6129 dbi. i found the aperture of the dipole antenna from the equation Ae = D*λ²/4*pi i got Ae as 0.5134 (my frequency is 74.9481 Mhz ). i constructed two equal dipole antenna in FEKO . i placed two dipole antenna 2 Meter apart . the first dipole is feed by 1 V 50 Ohm voltage source so i calculated the transmitted power by the equation Ptx = V²/R i got it as 0.02 watt. i calculated the received power in the second antenna by the equation Pr =Pt*Gt*Ae/4pi*r² my i got Gt above (i took Gt and Directivity are same) calculation as 1.6129 dbi , r= 2 meter then i got Pr =0.000328 i converted in to db as 10*log(p2/p1) i got S12 as -17 db. but i got S12 in FEKO as -14.28 Db.
is my calculations wrong? if it wrong how can i calculate the received power in the second dipole antenna theoretically ?? why there is more than 2 db difference in calculations ??:shock:

The quoted equation is only valid in far field, 2 m is clearly near field. That's at least one possible explanation for deviation.

For a more exact caluculation of transmission in near field, refer to antenna theory text books, e.g. Balanis.

The quoted equation is only valid in far field, 2 m is clearly near field. That's at least one possible explanation for deviation.

yup, agreed
any power transfer (induced currents) within near-field is more akin to a transformer primary and secondary windings or a 2 parallel conductors situation

Dave

For a more exact caluculation of transmission in near field, refer to antenna theory text books, e.g. Balanis.

Thank you for your replay. if my distance R in far field then my equations are correct ?

i increased the distance between them by 10 meter. then i got s12 as -31.80 db and i got -26.78 db in feko
there is approximately 6 db difference. is my equations correct??? did i missed anything??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back