Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

windows 7 is taking more time on restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrax747

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am using windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version.Whn i power on or restart the sytem it is taking long time for the desktop to appear,some times black screen also appears and then my desktop is shown,What is the fix for this issue ?

the disk is failing more and more as times goes by...
buy an ssd drive, and change your hard drive - it will go 10x faster (yes 10 times not 10%)
you will never go back with a mechanic hard drive.

Hi

Any other alternative , can i speed it up doing anything ?

Hi,
Have you tried looking at msconfig and disabling start-up programs/programs that start-up at power-up you don't need? Good practice to check every now and then how many unnecessary programs are slowing the start-up down, it unfortunately seems to be a default installation configuration for a lot of software.
Type "msconfig" in the start panel, then click on the "Windows start" panel to have a look. Example, I don't need the Printer monitor program or mobile phone programs at start-up so I untick them in msconfig>Windows start.

Maybe it is your hard drive failing, and I agree, SSD is a big improvement; you can also speed up start-up by going to the second tab in msconfig and changing wait time to 3 seconds, and ticking "start without gui", and in "advanced options" there you can choose how many processors to use for start-up.

I might be wrong, but I think sometimes with updates and changes the computer can take a few seconds longer to start-up (maybe it's reading its new configuration or something...)

Hi

one possibility is to remove the unwanted startup programs which are loaded at boottime.

for 3 party software i can judge myself,but shal i stop few microsft service also ? if yes what are some programs i can disable ?

Hi, not sure about that one, I didn't get round to doing that part, it looked like a lot of time to do - it would have absorbed the excessive time I need to make poor quality circuits ;); from reading a bit of the content this link seemed serious/reliable info., so maybe you could refer to it and disable unnecessary services (there seem to be quite a few) based on recommendations there:

https://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Hope it helps.

for 3 party software i can judge myself,but shal i stop few microsft service also ? if yes what are some programs i can disable ?

identify the services to be stopped , for your system'from 'task manger list ' and 'services tab' for a running system.
and remove those at startup.

a generalised list for every system may not be possible.

My Win 7 laptop displayed a progress bar immediately after I pressed the 'On' button. It took a couple minutes to reach the end.

One day I found a setting somewhere which eliminated the progress bar and the long delay. Unfortunately I forget exactly where I found this setting. Maybe the bios settings. Maybe the 'System' control panel.

restart the sytem it is taking long time for the desktop to appear,some times black screen also appears

My delay never occurred when I restarted, only when starting cold. I suspect the system was checking for memory errors, that my computer's devices had not changed from the 'known' configuration, and that my copy of Win7 was valid.

To check for hard disk errors:

Click on start button
In search window type management
Top of the list choose Computer Management
Click on Event Viewer
Expand and click on Windows Logs
Expand and click on System
In the list click on the Source header. It will show Sorting.. and take some time
Scroll to the top of the list and page down to see if any source entries show Disk with Level showing Error
Click on that entry and look at general tab below.
If General shows \Device\Harddisk0\ it is a hard sector error in your boot drive. If you have more than just a couple then your hard drive is failing.
If it shows \Device\Hardisk1\ or 2 or 3, etc. then a secondary drive or even a USB flash drive but not your boot drive.

Hope this helps, Larry G

PS - even a progress bar like described in previous post can be a bad hard drive. I have seen that many times. I do IT service.

Hi

the first thing to do is check for bad blocks on the hard drive (which is 90% the case for such symptoms I change 1-3 drives per day in my job)
if you have bad blocks, you MUST change the drive
or everything you may do on the OS is like cutting the tree you're climbing ...

When you switch ON your computer, start tapping the "F8" key to get "Windows Advanced Options". Then select the option "Safe Mode" and press Enter and click on Start --> In search box, type --> msconfig and press Enter. Now "System Configuration Utility" will be opened click on the "Startup" tab --> Click on the button "Disable all". Now click on "Services" tab --> Check the checkbox "Hide All Microsoft Services" --> Now click on "Disable All" --> Click on "OK" button and restart your PC. Finally log into your window normally and if a window appears regarding the changes that you have made, check the checkbox "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows start" and click on OK.

"Hide All Microsoft Services" --> Now click on "Disable All" -

By hiding all Microsoft services, does this ensure that the essential services remain on? Certain services have alerts, stating that they must be on in order for the computer to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.