Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

backing up SD card data from two partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdxcool

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have currently installed the latest xillinux OS on a 7020 Microzed Board. I used the USB image kit version 1.61 in windows 8 to install the OS. Images were downloaded from here (https://xillybus.com/xillinux). So there are two partitions basically created by this image, one boot partition (FAT 32) and another ext4 root fs partition.

There was no issues burning the image into the SD card and booting the system on microzed. But, after working on the system, writing code, configurations, etc, I wanted to take a backup of the entire SD card (both partitions). So, I tried to use the USB Image kit version 1.61 to create a backup image in the img.gz format. I was able to create this backup image. But, now when I mount this new backup image again in device mode using the USB image kit software on another SD card, the mounting takes for ever, and after like 10 minutes, there is an error generated with error code 0 saying that Could not access the USB device (Code:0).

I also tried to mount the image created using win32disk imager software. After the image is mounted, and I try to open the SD card, it says SD card needs to be formatted.

Can anyone suggest me how to backup a SD card completely (Both partitions) and mount it in a another SD card. Which software would you recommend in windows ? What is the best way of doing it ?

Hi. Not sure, if the suggestion is not too simplistic re the partition types, maybe you could look into creating an image with a program like ImgBurn or Nero and copy it to the backup card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back