Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

denoising question, for EEG-FMRI application

Status
Not open for further replies.

russell88

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello, i'm a researcher doing simultaneous EEG-FMRI recordings. i'm trying to denoise the EEG signal acquired inside the scanner...my question is this: if i have access to a clean signal (EEG data acquired outside the scanner) and a noisy signal (EEG data acquired inside the scanner) is there a way i can use the information from the clean signal to remove the scanner-related noise from the noisy signal? the noise is roughly on the same order of magnitude as the signal.

the standard approach is to use average artifact subtraction, followed by an ICA decomposition, to first subtract out the majority of the noise, and then remove the rest through subtracting the noisy components from the data using ICA. this doesn't really work so well due to 1) the physiological nature of the noise, average artifact subtraction cannot account for this variability and 2) the artifact is non-stationary so ICA can't handle it cleanly either.

basically i'm wondering if you have two signals, signal a and signal b, where a was recorded in a noise-free environment, and b was recorded in a noisy environment, is it possible to use the information from signal a to remove the noise from signal b?
thanks,
Russell

Wild guess - can you look at the signal in the frequency domain and tailor a filter (based on the clean signal) to reduce the noise at 'unnecessary' frequencies?
Susan

Wild guess - can you look at the signal in the frequency domain and tailor a filter (based on the clean signal) to reduce the noise at 'unnecessary' frequencies?
Susan

yeah i've tried this, doesn't really work because there's too much overlap, ie the noise is strongest in the same frequencies i'm interested in in the clean signal.

I don't suppose this is a case where you want only the signal common to both sources? Occasionally a similar question comes up about stereo audio: Is there any way to eliminate instruments which are playing only in the left channel, and only in the right channel? This would let us hear only the instruments (or vocals) playing in the center? I have not seen any truly effective method to do this.

the noise is strongest in the same frequencies i'm interested in in the clean signal.

Seems like matching the Susan's advise.
If the noise bandwidth is known, you can try performing a notch filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back