Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

13V- 50V to 10V convertion

Status
Not open for further replies.

varunme

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What is a way for 13V- 50V to 10V convertion?

Hi,

Do you think you gave usefull information?

DC?
AC? frequency? Waveform?
Current/power?
Isolating?
Precision?

What is it for? Measurement or power supply?

Klaus

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
What is a way for 13V- 50V to 10V convertion?

As a seniormost member in the group. Asking for suggestions and help just by giving will definetly will not solve your problem. Provide complete detail of your problem so that will be easy to provide suggestions.

I'm giving my suggestions with some assumptions on your one line requirement is use switching regulator as you are going to waste so much power I guess. Decide the switching regulator on basis of the current required in your circuit.

varunme

Really sorry for being so careless giving less details

DC, below 100mA,
SMPS powered
yes for psu for TS555

Last edited:

Better go with the switching regulator if you are not worrying cost and number of components

well, I would go for a sepic converter for that....maloth posted some time back and a sepic design was given to him in that thread.

Hi,

I'm confused. A SEPIC is useful if input voltage range includes output voltage..

A step down should work for you.

Klaus

Any cheap and simple method available? since the power is already from smps, its already regulated, a voltage drop method is only required, if its lowered to the range of 30V i can use 7810

The problem is you so much of power is going to get wasted. Due to that 7810 will lead you to excessive heat in your circuit.

Zener diodes in series?

many choices for make or buy depending on your skill.

join www.ti.com ( free ) then use their selector on home page with input and output power specs.

There are other sites, too. Linear, Maxim, ROhm, Toshiba etc or choose from a "disti" like Digikey, Mouser.

That could be Ok but will not solve the problem completely. Also use a power resistor along with the zener diode or else go for the option of pre-regulator.

Hi,

With a linear regulator:
A zener or a power resistor in series with the input supply makes no difference. Either the heat is dissipated in zener, reistor, or regulator.
It´s all the same power / heat.

Klaus

This is a similar application circuit
in this nothing special is found to power the 555
only one zener is found near,
its working in 48V

how it may be functioning?

WP_20150915_001 CRP.jpg

If that is the case then what is the 6 regulators were found in the picture?

Its not regulators, its mosfets

What about capacitor divider?

What about capacitor divider?

Here is a simulation which works on the concept of a charge pump. It can step down the power supply, if adjusted to the proper frequency and duty cycle.

The power supply needs to be at least twice the desired output voltage. This is because C1 only charges to 1/2 of the supply voltage.

A half-bridge drives the charge pump capacitor C1. The load is in the emitter leg. It receives current both when the capacitor is charging and discharging. Efficiency is improved.

Capacitors tend to charge and discharge suddenly in such circuits. This creates spikey current waveforms, hurting efficiency.

I'm not saying this design is optimized. It is one of many designs which try to use capacitors as a counterpart to inductors, while trying to overcome the limitations of capacitors.

Example, see the thread below. It discusses an interesting method of switching two capacitors, in a way that can give you a wide range of output voltages.

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/314185/

varunme

Status
Not open for further replies.