Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is net delay becoming more prominent than cell delay in lower technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

limitless_21

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I wanted to know why net delay is dominating the cell delay in the lower technologies ?
The reasons can be - net length , net area, No. of vias traveresed by net or due to crosstalk, Also the net delay is the function of R & C values.
Apart from this what is the main factor still causing net delay to occur or if I frame my question again - on what all parameters does net delay depends apart from the above mentioned reasons)

Regards
limitless

Cell dimensions shrink quadratically with decreasing process size, so cell capacitances shrink at least stronger than linearly with decreasing process size (because of their mix of devices and interconnections). Interconnections' capacitances - in contrast - shrink very slowly - much less than linearly - with decreasing process size, s. e.g. these **broken link removed**, table 2013_INTC2 for the years 2013-2028 (line 4) forecast. The pF/cm ( ≙ 0.1 fF/µm ) values (line 36 for M1, line 62 for intermediate, line 93 for global wires) decrease only insignificantly with decreasing process size (s. pitch resp. gate length, lines 5-7), keeping values between 0.2 and 0.1 fF/µm , during a process size shrink factor of about 4 .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back