Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] NMOS amplifier design, parameters given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohammed Abrar

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How do I design an nmos circuit ( with no resistors) given that the drain to source current is 40 microamps and Vds is fixed at 1 V. Having a hard time figuring out whether I need to apply the formula for saturation or linear region.

Re: NMOS amplifier design, parameters given

It is not an amplifier since the drain-source current and voltage are fixed.

It is not an amplifier since the drain-source current and voltage are fixed.

Ok, but how do I design it. It is a very basic question I know

You gave no specifications for the amplifier.
Gain, supply voltage, load impedance and frequency?
Class-A, class-AB or class-D?
Its maximum allowed distortion?

Why are the current and voltage so low?

How do I design an nmos circuit ( with no resistors) given that the drain to source current is 40 microamps and Vds is fixed at 1 V. Having a hard time figuring out whether I need to apply the formula for saturation or linear region.

That sounds like some sort of an on-chip amp. Are the IDS and VDS (40µA and 1V respectively) for the operating bias point?

You need to figure out what topology to use based on the following requirements:
  • Gain
  • Input impedance
  • Output impedance
  • Bandwidth

The title of this thread says "amplifier" but an amplifier cannot amplify if its current and voltage are fixed.
With the fixed current and voltage then the Mosfet is simply a 1V/40uA= 25k ohms fixed resistor.

That could be the DC operating bias point - eg for a single stage amp. Applying an input signal can then allow amplification of the AC signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.