Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] MOSFET Power handling capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

darryl_co

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In figure 2 & 3 which configuration would have higher power handling capacity?
If 3 ampere is the circuit current consumption will only 1.5A flow from high side and low side mosfet individually . Can I parallel in the H bridge configuration. Which configuration is better and why?

Attachments

• 20150905_130910.jpg
    20150905_130910.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 67

Shouldn't we expect readable schematics?

20150905_130910.jpg

The question isn't clear however. A full bridge and two paralleled half-bridges have same power handling, but different output voltage. Full bridge is preferably because it avoids a supply center point and respective ripple currents.

You need to parallel Mosfets because yours are ancient with a high on-resistance. Modern Mosfets switch much better and are cooler.

You need to parallel Mosfets because yours are ancient with a high on-resistance. Modern Mosfets switch much better and are cooler.
I am using mosfets in parallel just to increase power handling capacity and to avoid the power handling capacity reduction due to rise in temperature . Can you please provide some modern mosfets numbers

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the inconvenience in reading the schematic.

Last edited:

The IRF3711Z Mosfet has an on-resistance of only 0.006 ohms when cool. It comes in 3 different sized packages. There are thousands of other modern Mosfets.

The IRF3711Z Mosfet has an on-resistance of only 0.006 ohms when cool. It comes in 3 different sized packages. There are thousands of other modern Mosfets.
The IRF3711Z is a 20V mosfet, my DC supsupply is 24V. If I use 24V AC than DC would be around 35V DC so cannot use this mosfet

Your 24VAC center tapped transformer will have peak voltages of 17V which is dropped to plus and minus 16V (not 12V) by the bridge rectifier.
Your 15V regulators will not produce 15V with an input as low as 16V.
Your logic gates will explode and the IR2110 logic supply voltage will be too high with a 30V supply anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.