Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Inversion Coefficient and gm/Id relation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenambo

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have studied about inversion coefficient. I am just wondered how gm/id and inversion coefficient is related?

Is there any particular relation which can be used for the hand calculation of a design?

thanks

There are two relations in fact. Based on Lambert W function aproximation of mosfet transfer I-V curve (used in ACM model) the gm/Id relation is given by:
CodeCogsEqn (13).png

where n is a slope factor and IC is inversion coefficient in penthode region of operation (or simply forward current).

In original EKV model paper You can find slightly differ empirical relation (based on aproximation of transfer curve by ln²(1+exp(Vgs/Vt))):

CodeCogsEqn (14).png

You can also include short channel effects to gm/Id relation in a few different ways, i.e. by solving corrected equation for channel charge density, by modifying technology current and insert it into IC, and in some other ways.

More details about including the SCE You can find in Binkley, Jespers or Enz books.

Hi Dominik

thanks for the reply. I will study those books. Do you think these equations can be used for hand calculations?
and what about the slope factor.? Is it possible to find slope factor without any simulation , I mean for calculation purpose?

thanks

I'm successfully using first formula. Slope factor is easy to obtain from subthreshold slope, which is given in every process documentation

CodeCogsEqn (15).png

Of course it varies from weak to strong inversion for about 10% but constant value approximation is good enough for calculation, especially that for modern processes is very hard to work with IC>10

slope factor is always greater than 1 and for most of the processes is in range of 1.2 - 1.8 (values close to 1 I found only in some soi technologies).

Hi Dominik

thanks I will check my PDK docs. Can you please specify the exact books where you got the equation for gm/id and inversion coefficient? I am a bit confused about some terms and the "i" term..

thanks

Hi Dominik

Thanks for the reply.. I got it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back