Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why we cant making finger length for layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

We are always doing finger for width..Why we did not use for length..

Eg

If W=8u & L=1u means we are doing W=4u nf=2 and L=1u (always) ... why we are not follow L=0.5u nf=2 ?

If anyone know about please give me ans..

Hello
In the fabrication process the masks are made of fixed poly lengths.If you are working on any node technology the poly lengths will be same for all the transistors you have used,Say if you are working on 45nm technology than all the transistor sizes poly gate will be 45 itself.the reason for fingering is mainly to make the poly resistance less.

Hi Anand,

Thanks, i can understand your answer..the fabrication process all poly length same (all technology).. In analog circuits we may use L=1u why we cant divide the length = 500n and nf=2

Thanks

Bala

hey bala,

width splitting is basically a concept used for standard cell design...
this is called fingering
so this is done to make ur device faster..
and only width is splitted because standard cells are those cells which should have a fixed heigth and same length and u cant go beyond a particular height ..
so if the height of the standard cell is supposed to be 10 and ur layout heigth is 100 then we break the width into 10 pieces or fingers...

this means that we dont have an option of splitting lengths as far as standard cells are concerned

Hi Anand,

Thanks, i can understand your answer..the fabrication process all poly length same (all technology).. In analog circuits we may use L=1u why we cant divide the length = 500n and nf=2

Thanks

Bala

If you do so than the technology you are working will not be 1u length technology it will be 500n technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back