Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Sigma Delta ADC Linearity & 3rd Harmonic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Ahmed

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a 3rd order, 1 MHz Sigma Delta ADC with the following Specs
3 level quantizer and OSR = 32.

I am facing a linearity problem that i don't know how to fix it.
The system achieved max SQNR = 69 dB at Vin Full Scale and Max Frequency (i.e: Fin = Fb)

The following figure shows the PSD:
max freq.PNG

However, the simulation with Fin = F_bandwidth/3 ,, the max SQNR = 60.76 dB which means I am losing about 9 dB ..
and here is the PSD with the lower input frequency
not max freq.PNG

I know that means that i have harmonics issue (2nd , 3rd ,, ) ,, How can I fix it ?

Re: Sigma Delta ADC Linearity & 3rd Harmonic

I am working on a 3rd order, 1 MHz Sigma Delta ADC with the following Specs
3 level quantizer and OSR = 32.

I am facing a linearity problem that i don't know how to fix it.
The system achieved max SQNR = 69 dB at Vin Full Scale and Max Frequency (i.e: Fin = Fb)

The following figure shows the PSD:
View attachment 120323

However, the simulation with Fin = F_bandwidth/3 ,, the max SQNR = 60.76 dB which means I am losing about 9 dB ..
and here is the PSD with the lower input frequency
View attachment 120324

I know that means that i have harmonics issue (2nd , 3rd ,, ) ,, How can I fix it ?

That is a very practical problem...
1) If i take fin=fb, then while calculating the snr I am not including any harmonics (noise calculations take into consideration frequencies only upto FB)
2) So the best way is to choose a fin such that around 5*Fin or 9*fin is less than FB, so that we can include atleast 5/9 harmonics

Status
Not open for further replies.