Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADS Sparam mini-circuit balun 4-port but s3p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Dutchman

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ADS Sparam mini-circuits balun 4-port but s3p?

Hello all,

I'm used to working with ADS a little bit, but I can't seem to understand to simulate the TCM4-452X+ wideband balun from mini-circuits.

I downloaded the s3p-file from over here:
**broken link removed**

Datasheet is here:
**broken link removed**

First I don't really get why I got a S3P-file while the component has 4 ports? Primary dot, primary, secondary dot and secondary.
Second I don't understand how I should interprete this file? What is corresponding to port 1, 2 and 3? It is not documented as far as I know.

When I try to simulate to find out which port is what I never even get the graphs for return loss (S11) close to the datasheet even switching the excitation port around.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

What am I missing here?
Thanks alot!

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently I was dumb enough to wrongly interpret the Ohm's ratio of the 1:4 transformer. Instead of having 12.5 Ohms at the secondary it should have been 200 Ohms, hence the mismatch in S11. Now I get figures like this (which are close to the datasheet)

**broken link removed**

However, my question still remains as I want to use this component for a downconversion in impedance (50 to 12.5 Ohms). Thus I have single-ended 50 Ohm in at the secondary and I want 12.5 Ohm at the primary, differential. But that is not the way the s3p is measured. How should I handle this?

Re: ADS Sparam mini-circuits balun 4-port but s3p?

The component does not 4 ports.It's got only 3 ports ( Primary, Secondary and Secondary_Dot)
Primary_Dot is a reference ( GND ) for Single Ended Input.So, there isn't any discrepancy..

Thank you for your reply, however I don't want to use it this way.
I would like to do a 50Ohm to 12.5Ohm conversion, so is it also possible to add a ground at the secondary and have the differential output on the primary?

I would like to do a 50Ohm to 12.5Ohm conversion, so is it also possible to add a ground at the secondary and have the differential output on the primary?

Due to the transformer design, the high impedance (4:1) is always in the symmetric side (center tap).

So you can do differential 50 Ohm (25 + 25) to single ended 12.5 Ohm.

Is it possible to elaborate on that? Maybe a reference or a paper so I can understand it?
Any idea how can I get a wideband 12Ohm (balanced) to 50 Ohm (unbalanced) transformation?

Last edited:

The "Guanella" 1:4 transmission line transformer can be used in different configurations, e.g. unbal-unbal. bal-unbal makes less sense according to the impedance values, but should work, too. The s3p files are however only specifying the unbal-bal configuration, as shown in the datasheet "Electrical Schematic". Additional parameters become effective when using the part in different configurations, so you have to do your own measurements. I would also expect a reduced higher cut-off frequency at 1/4 of the designed impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back