Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Transmission Line Width

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antenna (^.^)

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

Could anyone assist in telling me how to find the width of a microstrip transmission line?
I know there are formulas and some calculators online but they all seem to require some initial width anyway.

Thanks!!

Microstrip line usually related with impedance. Also some parameters like substrate height, frequency and dielectric constant. I suggest using following.
https://www.emtalk.com/mscalc.php
for more accurate u can use
**broken link removed**

Hello,

Could anyone assist in telling me how to find the width of a microstrip transmission line?
I know there are formulas and some calculators online but they all seem to require some initial width anyway.

Thanks!!

many closed form formulas..depends on which characteristic impedance you are trying to implement

Impedance is chiefly dependent on track width to gap ratio and dielectric constant,D.

• Thinner boards allow smaller tracks at the same ratio and impedance.
  • D tends to have a 10% minimum tolerance.
  • Track widths have an etch-back tolerance equal to thickness of copper.
  • Impedance testing by TDR method is done at fab shop on test coupons at additional expense for better results and D codes adjusted in Gerber file.
  • Slight variations exist due to dielectric constant reducing with rising f , conductor skin effects and gap to wavelength ratio at EHF.

SunnySkyguy it is assumed we want to synthesis a 50-ohm microstrip transmission line,
consider er = 4.4, h (height) = 1.6 mm, freq = 1000 MHz, and t (thickness of trace) = 0.001 mu m.

result by **broken link removed**
W = 3.045654296875 mm

**broken link removed** gave me Z0 = 50.1 ohm

https://chemandy.com/calculators/microstrip-transmission-line-calculator-hartley27.htm gave me Z0 = 50.22 ohm

Result for **broken link removed**
W = 3.0508791326846296

there is a good agreement between all results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back