Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

why real part of input impedance is negative in my CST simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamiar.t

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am simulating in terahertz (THz) range which source resistance is high (>10 Kohms), I want to obtain S-parameters and input impedance but i saw that in some frequencies the amount of S-parameters are larger than 0 dB and real part of input impedance is also negative.

i think they are not reasonable, can anyone explain what is wrong in my simulation?

Attachments

• eee.jpg
    eee.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 154

Such a ripple in the frequency domain response from time domain solver can result from too much residual energy at the end of the transient simulation. Use more timesteps and see if the ripple decreases.

thanks @volker for your helpful comment

yes, actually the residual energy is high, but how can decrease this?

i start simulation with increasing number of pulses to 100 and time to 70, but still there is much residual energy in the structure ?

Do you get some errors or warning? Is the energy in your simulation domain decaying with time and met the "accuracy" setting in your td-setup? Also check 1d results - port signals.

I've seen this sort of behaviour before as a result of the "AR" (auto regression) filter which seems to auto-enable itself in some situations/scenarios...

[I haven't identified the pattern yet, maybe it's related to the template used? Either way, whenever I come across screwy results with frequency domain 'ringing' like yours, I go hunting for it in the simulation settings dialog]

The filter intends to speed things up by truncating the time-domain simulation and inferring the corresponding frequency domain. I'm not sure when it's meant to be useful (or what I'm doing wrong) as it always seems to give me results like yours. Turn it off (if it's enabled) and try again :)

Do you get some errors or warning? Is the energy in your simulation domain decaying with time and met the "accuracy" setting in your td-setup? Also check 1d results - port signals.

thanks @johnjoe for your help
it was related to excitation pulse and a material of structure and i solved it,:lol:
but for your question , no there was no error or warning in the messages box but the residual energy remaining in the end of simulation was high (it wasn't below -10 dB)

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen this sort of behaviour before as a result of the "AR" (auto regression) filter which seems to auto-enable itself in some situations/scenarios...

[I haven't identified the pattern yet, maybe it's related to the template used? Either way, whenever I come across screwy results with frequency domain 'ringing' like yours, I go hunting for it in the simulation settings dialog]

The filter intends to speed things up by truncating the time-domain simulation and inferring the corresponding frequency domain. I'm not sure when it's meant to be useful (or what I'm doing wrong) as it always seems to give me results like yours. Turn it off (if it's enabled) and try again :)

I do appreciate @thylacine for your comment
yes i done my simulation with and without AR filter, but the results didn't differ very much and were unacceptable, but as I said in previous comment as frequency of simulation is high (THz), the results are very depend on the materials used and also I must defined the new excitation pulse and new frequency range to let the energy in the structure decayed to the reasonable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back