Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino Sketch Software to load code to a non Arduino board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a request to develop a simple PCB that will be a customized version of an off the shelf Arduino pro-mini board.

The original pro-mini board uses a 32pin ATMEGA328, however the customized board is to use the 28 pin variety of the ATMEGA328, so the pin-out is slightly different.

The software developer is using Arduino Sketch to load code into the pro-mini development board and would prefer to continue using this tool.

I downloaded a copy of "Sketch" and there are selections for the various Arduino boards, however there does not appear to be a selection for specific varieties of the ATMEGA328.

So does this rule out using "Sketch" to develop and download code to the new board that will use the 28 pin device instead of the 32 pin device that is used on the pro-mini board, or is there a way to get sketch to use the pin-out of the 28 pin device?

Perhaps it depends whether the sketch you have uses any pins that wont be on the dip version. and if pinchange is feasible is to be studied.
So long the common pins of 28 /32 are used, i assume that you can make a dedicated pcb for the need.
It need not have all ports terminated. perhaps only those pins that are used can be planned for the proposed pcb.

Perhaps it depends whether the sketch you have uses any pins that wont be on the dip version. and if pinchange is feasible is to be studied.
So long the common pins of 28 /32 are used, i assume that you can make a dedicated pcb for the need.
It need not have all ports terminated. perhaps only those pins that are used can be planned for the proposed pcb.

The custom PCB only requires about 10 of the many pins available, that is not the issue. The issue is that it's not obvious to me if "Sketch" can be configured to use the 28 pin version

i get your point. once crystal used in either case is of same frequency, i suppose Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back