Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230VAC input protection against to reverse connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartekus

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

i have a circuit for AC load. Does anyone know, how can i protect circuit and let it work normally.
if user put power socket in reverse direction. if phase and neutral change places.

i did not know how to search about it in google.
Thank you.

Best regards

i made this circuit to control amplitude of selonoid with microcontroller.
i meant, in case someone give power in other direction(Neutral instead of Phase und Phase instead of Neutral).
what should i add in the begining of circuit to let circuit work normally, if power socket connection 180degree turned, if phase nd neutral change places.
i hope i could explain.

thank you.
Regards

The polarity in the AC supply reverses 50 or 60 times a second so the circuit would be unaware which wire went to phase and which went to neutral. The only time it would make a difference is when a third (maybe Earth) connection is also present. On most single phase power distribution systems the neutral and Earth are bonded at the power source (sub-station transformer) so it would be normal to see different L-E and N-E voltages but L-N should be the same either way around.

Brian.

If you are using a non isolated power supply then providing your insulation is correct, as said it, will not matter which wire is L or N. If you insulation is inadequate, which it sounds that it is, then connecting the incoming neutral to the chassis would under most circumstances be safe, but under a fault condition (break in neutral feed anywhere) would cause the earthy connections to be live. In any case the neutral could be at a couple of volts AC and with only the supply fuse in series with it, so a neutral connected chassis touching a proper earthed point would cause very high currents to flow and burn out your mains lead.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.