Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Advice on writing a library/class for arduino, what to do/not do in the constructor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.

I do not know much about C/C++ but I am trying to make classes for my data converters that I use with my arduino Due, and why not then put each class in a library.

I want to ask about the following:
Code:
MAX5216::MAX5216(int CSpin)
{
  _CSpin = CSpin;
}

void MAX5216::begin()
{
  // MAX5216 DAC Setup
  // MSB first, shifts data on SCKs falling edge, clock idle Low, SCK freq « 50MHz. 
  SPI.begin(_CSpin);
  SPI.setBitOrder(_CSpin, MSBFIRST);
  SPI.setDataMode(_CSpin, SPI_MODE1);
  SPI.setClockDivider(_CSpin, 2);
}

Is it any meaning in doing almost nothing in the constructor and then initialize everything in a begin function?
Is there a reason to not put everything that is in MAX5216::begin() into MAX5216::MAX5216(int CSpin)?

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

I am aware of the things I need to do in order to use the SPI library inside my own library.

I can't find any difference what so ever in putting a lot of functions or peripheral setup routines in the constructor and I guess the idea is to do it that way. And to have a destructor as well but I have never seen a destructor being used in a arduino related subject(but I have not even read 1% of the C++ codes that lays behind the arduino scenes.

apart from the constructor and destructor options ,
what would be the final hex code memory size in the c++ implementation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back