Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to multiplex serial data and send it to the PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

player80

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to set up some goal I would like to achieve using a cypress ez-usb and FPGA

I would like to read 2 serial channels via FPGA, multiplex it and send it to the ez-usb controller.

Now I'm a software engineer, and only have a rough idea which components I would need for that.

* EZ-USB FX2 for the USB part
* FPGA / CPLD for the multiplexing part.

Since I'm a beginner I have no idea where to start with the FPGA/CPLD part how the multiplexing procedure should work.

Would this require to write the data from input 1 to some memory and once it's completed send it to the FX2?

For the serial input data I would think about 2 lines per input, clock and data (to make it easier at the beginning I'd ignore the synchronization part and just simulate 2x8bit inputs, the inputs should not be limited by 8 bits in the future I would like to be able to extend this eg. to 48 bytes / 384 bits or more per channel).

Can someone give me a hint what I would have to study or is there any example out there which I could have a look at in order to learn about what I want?

I would seriously consider getting a good textbook on digital logic. Your software experience is no use to you, and q you try and use it, you will hit many problems.

The problem you have described is probably a little advanced for a beginner. I highly recommend getting a good textbook and working through the examples as a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back